Zone Centroid Distance and Standard Deviation Based Feature Matrix for Odia Handwritten Character Recognition
Optical character recognition (OCR) is a type of document image analysis where scanned digital image that contains either machine printed or handwritten script input into an OCR software engine and translating it into an editable machine readable digital text format. In this paper we designed a novel and robust two stage recognition system for Odia handwritten characters as well as we prepare a standard deviation and zone centroid average distance based feature matrix for more accuracy while training and testing the Neural Network. The OHCR System is based on the algorithm of feed forward BPNN in two stage to perform the optimum feature extraction and recognition. The Odia characters are classified into four groups according to similarity of their shapes and features. The system uses ANN in two stages, having different parameters, the first stage classifies the characters into similar groups and in the second stage individual characters are recognized.
KeywordsZone ANN centroid Character Recognition Morphological analysis Standard deviation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Prema, K.V., Subba, R.N.V.: Two-tier architecture for unconstrained handwritten character recognition. Sadhna 27, Part 5, 585–594 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Rajashekararadhya, S.V., Vanaja Ranjan, P.: A Novel Zone Based Feature Extraction Algorithm for Handwritten Num Recognition of Four Indian Scripts. Digital Technology Journal 2, 41–51 (2009) ISSN 1802-5811 Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, X., Ding, X., Liu, C.: Gabor filters-based feature extraction for character recognition. Pattern Recognition Society (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Mohanty, S., Behera, H.K.: A complete OCR Development System for Oriya Script. In: Proceedings of SIMPLE 2004, IIT Kharagpur (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Pal, U., Wakabayashi, T., Kimura, F.: A System for Off-line Oriya Handwritten Character Recognition using Curvature Feature. IEEE (2007) 0-7695-3068-0/07Google Scholar
- 10.Ren, J.: Multi-order Standard Deviation Based Distance Metrics and its Application in Handwritten Chinese Character Recognition. In: 18th International conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2006). IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, H., Ding, X.: Handwritten Character Recognition Using Gradient Feature and Quadratic Classifier with Multiple Discrimination Schemes. In: Proceedings of the 2005 Eighth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR 2005). IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Blumenstein, M., Verma, B., Basli, H.: A Novel Feature Extraction Technique for the Recognition of Segmented Handwritten Characters. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, ICDAR 2003. IEEE (2003) 0-7695-1960-1/03Google Scholar