Performance Analysis of JPEG Algorithm on the Basis of Quantization Tables
Image compression techniques are used to reduce the storage and transmission costs. Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) is one of the most popular compression standards in the field of still image compression. In JPEG technique, an input image is decomposed using the DCT, quantized using quantization matrix and further compressed by using entropy encoding. Therefore, the objective of this paper is to carry out the performance analysis of JPEG on the basis of quantization tables. In this paper, we have employed the nelson algorithm for the generation of quantization table; and an attempt has been made for the identification of the best quantization table, because for digital image processing (DIP), it is necessary to discover a new quantization tables to achieve better image quality than the obtained by the JPEG standard. Research has shown that quantization tables used during JPEG compression can also be used to separate images that have been processed by software from those that have not been processed; and it is also used to remove JPEG artefacts or for JPEG recompression.
KeywordsJPEG DCT Quantization tables
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Standardization of Group 3 Facsimile apparatus for document transmission. CCITT Recommendations, Fascicle VII.2, Recommendation T.4 (1980) Google Scholar
- 5.Encoding Parameters of Digital Television for Studios. CCIR Recommendations, Recommendation 601 (1982) Google Scholar
- 6.Nelson, M., Gailly, J.-L.: The Data Compression Book. M&T Books, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Hudson, G.P., Yasuda, H., Sebestyén, I.: The international Standardization of a Still Picture Compression Technique. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, pp. 1016–1021. IEEE Communications Society (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.T.81: Information Technology - Digital Compression and Coding of Continuous-Tone Still Images - Requirements and Guidelines, http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-T.81
- 10.Dewan, M.A.A., Islam, R., Sharif, M.A., Islam, M.A.: An Approach to Improve JPEG for Lossy Still Image Compression. Computer Science & Engineering Discipline, Khulna University, Khulna 9208, BangladeshGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sadiq, M.: Implementation of VQ Techniques, M.Tech Project, Department of Computer Engineering, Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Aligarh, U.P., India (December 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Sadiq, M.: Study of the JPEG Algorithm and its Implementation using DCT Based Encoder, M.Tech Dissertation, Department of Computer Engineering, Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Aligarh, U.P., India (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Ansari, F.J., Sadiq, M., Ali, A.: A Comparison of the Baseline and Nelsons Algorithm for the JPEG Image Compression Encoder. In: INDIACom 2012, Delhi, India (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Kornblum, J.D.: Using JPEG Quantization Tables to Identify Imagery Processed by Software. Digital Investigation, S21–S25 (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Hany, F.: Digital image ballistics from JPEG quantization. Technical Report TR 2006-583, Department of Computer Science, Dartmouth College (2006)Google Scholar