A Fitness-Based Adaptive Differential Evolution Approach to Data Clustering
Fuzzy clustering helps to find natural vague boundaries in data. The fuzzy c-means (FCM) is one of the most popular clustering methods based on minimization of a criterion function as it works fast in most scenarios. However, it is sensitive to initialization and is easily trapped in local optima. In this work, a fuzzy clustering (FC) algorithm based on Differential Evolution (DE) is proposed. Here we use a DE with Fitness Based Adaptive Technique (FBADE) for the adaptation of DE parameters. 3 well-known data sets viz. Iris, Wine, Motorcycle and 2 synthetic datasets are used to demonstrate the effectiveness of the algorithm. The resulting algorithm is compared with conventional Fuzzy C-Means (FCM) algorithm, FCM with DE (FCM-DE), FCM with Self Adaptive DE (FCM-SADE).
KeywordsDifferential Evolution Fuzzy Clustering Global Optimization Evolutionary Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bezdek, J.C.: Fuzzy Mathematics in Pattern Classification, Ph. D. thesis, Center for Applied Mathematics, Cornell University (1973)Google Scholar
- 2.Kuncheva, L.I., Bezdek, J.C.: Selection of cluster prototypes from data by a genetic algorithm. In: Proc. 5th European Congress on Intelligent Techniques and Soft Computing (EUFIT), Aachen, Germany, vol. 18, pp. 1683–1688 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Runkler, T.A., Katz, C.: Fuzzy Clustering by Particle Swarm Optimization. In: IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 601–608 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Kao, Y., Lin, J., Huang, S.: Fuzzy Clustering by Differential Evolution. Intelligent Systems Design and Application (1), 246–250 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Qin, A.K., Huang, V.L., Suganthan, P.N.: Differential Evolution Algorithm with strategy adaptation for Global Numerical Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 13(2) (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Blake, C.L., Merz, C.J.: UCI repository of machine learning databases. University of California, Department of Information and Computer Science, Irvine (1998), http://www.ics.uci.edu/mlearn/MLRepository.html