Automated Design and Optimization of Combinational Circuits Using Genetic Algorithms
We introduce a method, based on genetic algorithm to automate and optimize the design of combinational circuits. Usually, logic circuits are designed by human beings who have a specific repertoire of conventional design techniques. These techniques limit the solutions that may be considered during the design process in both form and quality. The application of genetic algorithms has allowed the creation of circuits which are substantially superior to the best known human designs. We describe the important issues to consider when solving this circuit design problem : the representation scheme, the encoding scheme, the fitness function. We compare the solutions by our approach against those generated by a human designer. We also show that our approach produces better performances both in terms of quality of solution and in terms of speed of convergence.
KeywordsCircuit design optimization genetic algorithms convergence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Al-saiari, U.S.: Digital Circuit Design Through Simulated evolution. King Fahd University of petroleum and minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia (November 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Russell, S., Norvig: Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Prentice Hall, New Jersey (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.CoelloCoello, C.A., Christiansen, A.D., Aguirre, A.H.: Design of Combination Logic Circuits through an Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization Approach. Department of Electrical Engineeringand Computer Science, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.McCluskey, E.J.: Minimization of Boolean functions. Bell System Technical Journal (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Karnaugh, M.: A map method for synthesis of combinational logic circuit. Transactions of the AIEE, Communications and Electronics (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Koza, J.R.: Genetic Programming on the programming of computers by means of natural selection. The MIT press, Cambridge (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Louis, Rawlins, G.: Designer Genetic algorithms: “Genetic algorithms in structure design”. In: Belew, R.K., Booker, L.B. (eds.) Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, San Mateo, California. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Tutorials for Genetic Algorithm, http://www.obitko.com/tutorials/genetic-algorithms
- 9.Miller, J.F., Thompson, P., Fogarty: Designing Electronic Circuits Using Evolutionary Algorithms. Arithmetic Circuits: A Case Study. Genetic Algorithm and Evolution Strategy in Eng. and Comp. Sci., 105T–131T (1997)Google Scholar