Optimal Scheduling of Short Term Hydrothermal Coordination for an Indian Utility System Using Genetic Algorithm
This paper addresses short-term scheduling of two test hydrothermal systems by using Genetic algorithm. Short-term hydrothermal coordination consists of determining the optimal usage of available hydro and thermal resources during a scheduling period of time.Genetic algorithm is applied to determine the optimal hourly schedule of power generation in a hydrothermal power system. The developed algorithm is illustrated for a test system an Indian Utility System which consists of 7 hydro and 4 thermal systems respectively. The effectiveness and stochastic nature of proposed algorithm has been tested with standard test case and the results have been proved to be better than conventional method and results obtained by the proposed method are superior in terms of fuel cost.
KeywordsShort-term Hydrothermal Scheduling Genetic algorithm discharge rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wood, A.J., Wollenberg, B.F.: Power Generation, Operation and Control. John Wiley and Sons, New York (1984)Google Scholar
- 2.Sinha, N., Chakrabarti, R.: Fast Evolutionary Programming Techniques For Short-Term Hydrothermal Scheduling. IEEE Trans. PWRS 18(1), 214–219 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Wong, K.P., Wong, Y.W.: Short-term hydrothermal scheduling, part-I: Simulated. Annealing approach. IEE Proc., Part- C 141(5), 497–501 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Sinha, N., Chakrabarti, R.: Fast Evolutionary Programming Techniques For Short-Term Hydrothermal Scheduling. IEEE Trans. PWRS 18(1), 214–219 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Suman, D.S., Nallasivan Joseph Henry, C., Ravichandran, S.: A Novel Approach for Short-Term Hydrothermal Scheduling Using Hybrid Technique. In: IEEE Power India Conference, April 10-12 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Padmini, S., Rajan, C.C.A., Murthy, P.: Application of Improved PSO Technique for Short Term Hydrothermal Generation Scheduling of Power System. In: Panigrahi, B.K., Suganthan, P.N., Das, S., Satapathy, S.C. (eds.) SEMCCO 2011, Part I. LNCS, vol. 7076, pp. 176–182. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sinha, N., Loi-Lei Lai, N.: Meta Heuristic Search Algorithms for Short-Term Hydrothermal Scheduling. In: International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Dalian (2006)Google Scholar