A Non-Fuzzy Self-Tuning Scheme of PD-Type FLC for Overhead Crane Control
A non-fuzzy self-tuning scheme is proposed for Fuzzy PD controller in this paper. To eliminate the design complexity, output scaling factor (SF) of the proposed fuzzy controller is updated according to the process trend by a gain modification factor, which is determined by the normalized change of error of the system and its number of fuzzy partitions. The proposed non-fuzzy self-tuning fuzzy PD controller (NFST-FPDC) is demonstrated on a laboratory scale overhead crane. Moving a suspended load along a pre-specified path is not an easy task when strict specifications on the swing angle and transfer time need to be satisfied. In this study, twin NFST-FPDC are designed to control the trolley position of the crane and swing angle of the load. The proposed non-fuzzy gain tuning scheme guarantees a fast and precise load transfer and the swing suppression during load movement, despite of model uncertainties.
KeywordsFuzzy control Crane position control Swing angle Self-tuning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hong, K.S., Ngo, Q.H.: Port Automation: modeling and control of container cranes. In: Inter. Conf. on Instrumentation, Control and Automation, pp. 19–26 (October 2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Hamalainen, J.J., Marttinen, A., Baharova, L., et al.: Optimal path planning for a trolley crane: fast and smooth transfer of load. In: IEE Proc. Control Theory and Applications, vol. 142(1), pp. 51–57 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Shinskey, F.G.: Process Control Systems—Application, Design, and Tuning. McGraw-Hill, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Mudi, R.K., Pal, N.R.: A Self-Tuning Fuzzy PD Controller. IETE Journal of Research (Special Issue on Fuzzy Systems) 44(4&5), 177–189 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Pal, A.K., Mudi, R.K.: Self-Tuning Fuzzy PI controller and its application to HVAC system. IJCC (US) 6(1), 25–30 (2008)Google Scholar