A New Improved Particle Swarm Optimization Technique for Reactive Power Compensation of Distribution Feeders
Optimal reactive power compensation is one of the fundamental issues in the operation of power systems. This paper presents a new improved particle swarm optimization technique called black-hole particle swarm optimization (BHPSO) for optimal reactive power compensation of distribution feeders to avoid premature convergence. The performance of the proposed algorithm is demonstrated on a sample test system. The results obtained by the proposed methods are compared with other methods. The results show that the proposed technique is capable of producing comparable results.
KeywordsReactive Power Compensation Black-hole Particle Swarm Optimization (BHPSO) Power Loss Voltage Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Duran, H.: Optimum number, location, and size of shunt capacitors in radial distribution feeder: A dynamic programming approach. IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems 87(9), 1769–1774 (1983)Google Scholar
- 3.Baran, M.E., Wu, F.F.: Optimal Sizing of Capacitors Placed on a Radial Distribution System. IEEE Trans. Power Delivery (1), 1105–1117 (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Su, C.T., Tasi, C.C.: A new fuzzy reasoning approach to optimum capacitor allocation for primary distribution systems. In: Proc. 1996 IEEE on Industrial Technology Conference, pp. 237–241 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. Neural Networks (ICNN 1995), Perth, Australia, vol. IV, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Hogan, J.: Hawking cracks blach hole paradox. New Scientists (2004), www.newscientists.com