Central Technology Forecasting Using Social Network Analysis
In this paper, a central technology is defined as a key technology that is connected to most other technologies and that significantly affects them. Accordingly, we can build an R&D policy effectively if we can forecast central technologies. We propose a central technology forecasting model that uses social network analysis (SNA). A social network is a social structure of diverse items as well as of human beings. In this study, we set each technology as a node in an SNA graph and analyze the linkages between them. Thus, we forecast central technologies from SNA results. To verify the performance of our model, we conducted a case study using patent data related to nanotechnology.
KeywordsSocial network analysis Central technology Technology forecasting International patent classification Patent analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Wasserman, S., Faust, K.: Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications. Cambridge University Press (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Pinheiro, C.A.R.: Social Network Analysis in Telecommunications. John Wiley & Sons (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Jun, S.: IPC Code Analysis of Patent Documents Using Association Rules and Maps – Patent Analysis of Database Technology. In: Kim, T.-h., Adeli, H., Cuzzocrea, A., Arslan, T., Zhang, Y., Ma, J., Chung, K.-i., Mariyam, S., Song, X. (eds.) DTA / BSBT 2011. CCIS, vol. 258, pp. 21–30. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Giudici, P.: Applied Data Mining. Wiley (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Butts, C.T.: Social Network Analysis with sna. Journal of Statistical Software 24(6), 1–51 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Jun, S., Lee, S.: Emerging Technology Forecasting Using New Patent Information Analysis. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 6(3), 107–115 (2012) Google Scholar
- 11.International Patent Classification (IPC), World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), http://www.wipo.int/classifications/ipc/en/