Sleep Physiological Dynamics Simulation with Fuzzy Set
Neuroscientists have investigated into the functional-structural mechanisms of sleep for a long time. However, the sleep physiology is so complex that the relations to brain structure are still mostly unknown. In this paper, we integrate the brain sleep switch model with fuzzy methodology, more specifically, combining the the mutual inhibition system of the sleep switch with a rule-based fuzzy reasoning system. Based on the extension of sleep switch, a model for sleep physiological dynamics is proposed. In addition, we implement the sleep mechanisms and integrate them into an object-oriented brain simulator. With the brain simulator, we can demonstrate sleep dynamics of the brain network with 3D-rendering system is demonstrated. The sleep physiological dynamics in brain become more intuitive and easier to realize.
Keywordssleep physiology fuzzy methodology brain simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Moruzzi, G.: Brainste mreticular formation and activation of the EEG. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology 1(1-4), 455–473 (1949)Google Scholar
- 7.Thomas, C., Chou, A.: Afferents to the Ventrolateral Preoptic Nucleus. The Journal of Neuroscience 22(3), 977–990 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Sherin, J.E.: Innervation of histaminergic tuberomammillary neurons by GABAergic and galaninergic neurons in the ventrolateral preoptic nucleus of the rat. The Journal of Neuroscience 18, 4705–4721 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Lu, J.: Effect of lesions of the ventrolateral preoptic nucleus on NREM and REM sleep. The Journal of Neuroscience 20, 3830–3842 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Lu, J.: A putative flip-flop switch for control of REM sleep. Nature, 589–594 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Zadeh, L.: Fuzzy Sets, Fuzzy Logic, and Fuzzy Systems. World Scientific Books (1996)Google Scholar