A New Approach to Vision-Based Fire Detection Using Statistical Features and Bayes Classifier
Computer vision - based fire detection has recently attracted a great deal of attention from the research community. In this paper, the authors propose and analyse a new approach for identifying fire in videos. In this approach, we propose a combined algorithm for detecting the fire in videos based on the changes of the statistical features in the fire regions between different frames. The statistical features consist of the average of the red, green and blue channel, the coarseness and the skewness of the red channel distribution. These features are evaluated, and then classified by Bayes classifier, and the final result is defined as fire-alarm rate for each frame. Experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness and robustness of the proposed method.
KeywordsFire detection Pattern recognition Bayes classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ho, C.-C.: Machine vision-based real-time early flame and smoke detection. Meas. Sci. Technol. 20(4), 045502, 13 p (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Celik, T., Ozkaramanl, H., Demirel, H.: Fire and smoke detection without sensors: image processing - based approach. In: Proc. 15th European Signal Processing Conf., pp. 1794–1798 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Duong, H.D., Tinh, D.T.: A Novel Computational Approach for Fire Detection. In: Proc. of KSE 2010 The Second International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering, Hanoi, Vietname, pp. 9–13 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Habiboglu, Y.H., Günay, O., Çetin, A.E.: Covariance matrix-based fire and flame detection method in video. Machine Vision and Applications, doi: 10.1007/s00138-011-0369-1Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Fire detection sample video clips, http://signal.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/VisiFire