Image Quality Assessment Based on Improved Structural SIMilarity
In this paper, we propose a novel image quality assessment (IQA) based on an Improved Structural SIMilarity (ISSIM) which considers the spatial distributions of image structures. The existing structural similarity (SSIM) metric, which measures structure loss based on statistical moments, i.e., the mean and variance, represents mainly the luminance change of pixels rather than describing the spatial distribution. However, the human visual system (HVS) is highly adapted to extract structures with regular spatial distributions. In this paper, we employ a self-similarity based procedure to describe the spatial distribution of image structures. Then, combining with the statistical characters, we improve the structural similarity based quality metric. Furthermore, considering the viewing condition, we extend the ISSIM metric to the multi-scale space. Experimental results demonstrate the proposed IQA metric is more consistent with the human perception than the SSIM metric.
KeywordsImage Quality Assessment Structural Similarity Statistical Character Spatial distribution Self-Similarity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, G., Yang, C., Po, L., Xie, S.: Edge-Based structural similarity for image quality assessment. In: Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP 2006, vol. 2, p. II (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, C., Bovik, A.C.: Three-component weighted structural similarity index, pp. 72420Q-1–72420Q–9. SPIE (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Ponomarenko, N., Lukin, V., Zelensky, A., Egiazarian, K., Carli, M., Battisti, F.: Tid2008 - a database for evaluation of full-reference visual quality assessment metrics. Advances of Modern Radioelectronics 10, 30–45 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Video Quality Expert Group (VQEG): Final report from the video quality experts group on the validation of objective models of video quality assessment ii (2003), http://www.vqeg.org/
- 10.Wang, Z., Simoncelli, E., Bovik, A.: Multiscale structural similarity for image quality assessment. In: Conference Record of the Thirty-Seventh Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, vol. 2, pp. 1398–1402 (2003)Google Scholar