A Videoconferencing-Oriented Hybrid-Domain H.264/SVC to H.264/AVC Spatial Transcoder
As an extension of H.264/AVC, Scalable Video Coding (SVC) provides the ability to adapt to heterogeneous requirements. However, transcoding between SVC and AVC becomes necessary due to the existence of legacy AVC-based systems. The straightforward full re-encoding method requires great computational cost, and fast SVC-to-AVC spatial transcoding techniques have not been thoroughly investigated yet. This paper proposes a low-complexity SVC-to-AVC spatial transcoder in hybrid domain (pixel domain & transform domain) with drift compensation. In the pixel-domain transcoding, a fast re-encoding method is proposed based on mode mapping and MV refinement. In the transform-domain transcoding, the quantized transform coefficients together with motion data are reused directly to avoid re-quantization loss. At last, the drift problem in proposed transcoder is solved. Simulation results show that proposed transcoder achieves averagely 96.4% time reduction compared with the full re-encoding method, and outperforms the reference methods in coding efficiency.
KeywordsSVC-to-AVC transcoding spatial scalability hybrid-domain drift compensation videoconferencing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Oelbaum, T., Schwarz, H., Wien, M., Wiegand, T.: Subjective Performance Evaluation of the SVC Extension of H.264/AVC. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP, San Diego, pp. 2772–2775 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Jang, E.D., Kim, J.G., Thang, T.C., Kang, J.W.: Adaptation of Scalable Video Coding to packet loss and its performance analysis. In: International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, ICACT, Phoenix Park, vol. 1, pp. 696–700 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Davis, A.W.: A Ready Marcket: Introducing H.264-SVC (Next-Generation Technology for Videoconferencing Over IP Networks), a Wainhouse Research whitepaper (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Segall, A., Zhao, J.: Bit-stream rewriting for SVC-to-AVC conversion. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP, San Diego, pp. 2776–2779 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Sachdeva, R., Johar, S., Piccinelli, E.: Adding SVC Spatial Scalability to Existing H.264/AVC Video. In: IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Computer and Information Science, ICIS, Shanghai, pp. 1090–1095 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, H., Wang, Y., Chen, Y., Li, H.: Spatial transcoding from Scalable Video Coding to H.264/AVC. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo., ICME, New York, pp. 29–32 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Schwarz, H., Hinz, T., Marpe, D., Wiegand, T.: Constrained Inter-layer Prediction for Single-loop Decoding in Spatial Scalability. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP, Italy, vol. 2, pp. 870–873 (2005)Google Scholar