SSIM-Based End-to-End Distortion Modeling for H.264 Video Coding
The estimation of end-to-end distortion plays a key role in error-resilient video coding and perceptual quality control. The traditional end-to-end distortion estimation methods are mainly based on the MSE or MAD values, which sometimes poorly reflect subjective perception. This paper proposes a novel method to model the end-to-end quality degradation based on the SSIM index. Using factors extracted from the encoder, we build the models by considering the source distortion, the error-propagated distortion and the error-concealment distortion. These models can be used in joint source-channel coding with rate-distortion optimization as well as error-resilient video coding based on perception.
Keywordsend-to-end distortion error propagation quality evaluation GLM SSIM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.ATIS: Objective Perceptual Video Quality Measurement Using a JND Based Full Reference Technique. Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions Technical Report, T1.TR. 75-2001 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Koumaras, H., Kourtis, A., Lin, C.-H., Shieh, C.-K.: A Theoretical Framework for End-to-End Video Quality Prediction of MPEG-based Sequences. In: Proc. 3rd Int’l Conf. on Networking and Services, Athens, Greece (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Yim, C., Bovik, A.C.: Evaluation of temporal variation of video quality in packet loss networks. Signal Processing: Image Communication, 24–38 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, Y., Lin, T.-L., Cosman, P.: Network-based model for video packet importance considering both compression artifacts and packet losses. In: IEEE Globecom 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Ou, T.-S., Huang, Y.-H., Chen, H.H.: SSIM-Based Perceptual Rate Control for Video Coding. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 21(5) (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, S., Rehman, A., Wang, Z., Ma, S., Gao, W.: Rate-SSIM Optimization For Video Coding. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.McCullagh, P., Nelder, J.A.: Generalized Linear Models, 2nd edn. Chapman and Hall (1989)Google Scholar
- 14.Cui, Z., Zhu, X.: Subjective Quality Optimized Intra Mode Selection for H.264 I Frame Coding Based on SSIM. In: The Sixth International Conference on Image and Graphics (2011)Google Scholar