Uncovering the Secrets of Daoism Fus Using Digital Dao-Fa Hui-Yuan
This paper is about a digital archive named Digital Dao-Fa Hui-Yuan (DDFHY) . DDFHY is a collection of Fus and composed of 268 volumes. A Fu is a secret graphic symbol. The relationships among Fus are not well understood because of the huge number of Fus and the secrecy of Daoism. We analyzed the relationships and examined the distribution of all parts, Fus and volumes in order to discover relationships between pairs of volumes of DDFHY. In our study, we found some interesting new relationships between some volumes. The analysis methods used for analyzing the relationships between Fus and volumes were discussed with Daoism researchers and evaluated by them, to improve the analysis methods in this study.
KeywordsDigital Archive Daoism Fus Dao-Fa Hui-Yuan Network analysis Digital humanities
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Feng, X., Matsumoto, K., Sugimoto, S.: Digital Archive “Dao Fa Hui Yuan” for Daoism Research. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Asia-Pacific Digital Libraries: for Cultural Heritage, Knowledge Dissemination, and Future Creation, ICADL 2011, pp. 26–34. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Matsumoto, K.: Dao Fa Hui Yuan—A Great compile of magic. Reading the Classic Daoism Book, pp. 236–248. Taishukan Publishing, Tokyo (2001) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 3.Hayakawa, M., Matsumoto, K., Uda, N.: Classifing Terms Used in Taoist Charms Appearing in “Dao-fa Hui-yuan”. Journal of Information and Media Studies 8(1), 57–69 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, Y.: Shen Xiao Lei Fa: The History and Thought of Daoism Shen Xiao Lei Fa, pp. 338–470. Sichuan People’s Publishing House, Sichuan (2003) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Feng, X.: Creating the Database and analysis the contents using statistical methods of Dao-Fa Hui-Yuan. The Journal of Eastern Religions (119), 104 (2012) (in Japanese)Google Scholar