Short-Term Spatio-temporal Forecasts of Web Performance by Means of Turning Bands Method
This work presents Turning Bands simulation method (TB) as a geostatistical approach for making spatio-temporal forecasts of Web performance. The most significant advantage of this method is requirement for the minimum amount of input data to make accurate and detailed forecasts. For this paper, necessary data were obtained with the Multiagent Internet Measuring System (MWING); however, only those measurements of European servers that were collected by the MWING’s agent in Gdansk were used. The aforementioned agent performed measurements (i.e. download times of the same given resource from the evaluated servers) three times every day, between 07.02.2009 and 28.02.2009, at 06:00 am, 12:00 pm and 06.00 pm. First, the preliminary and structural analyses of the measurement data were performed. Then short-term spatio-temporal forecasts of total downloading times for a four days ahead were made. And finally, thorough analysis of the obtained results was carried out and further research directions were proposed.
KeywordsWeb performance spatio-temporal forecasts geostatistics Turning Bands method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2011 to 2016, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/ns827/white_paper_c11-520862.pdf
- 2.CAIDA (Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis), http://caida.org
- 4.Karrer, R.: TCP prediction for adaptive applications. In: Proc. 32nd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, pp. 989–996 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Borzemski, L.: Internet path behavior prediction via data mining: Conceptual framework and case study. J. Univers. Comput. Sci. 13(2), 287–316 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Sunila, R., Kollo, K.: A comparison of geostatistics and fuzzy application for digital elevation model. In: The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, vol. XXXVI-2/C43 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Amiri, A., Gerdtham, U.: Relationship between exports, imports, and economic growth in France: evidence from cointegration analysis and Granger causality with using geostatistical models. Munich Personal RePEc Archive Paper No. 34190 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Borzemski, L., Kaminska-Chuchmala, A.: Distributed Web Systems Performance Forecasting Using Turning Bands Method. IEEE. Trans. Ind. Inform. PP(99), 1, doi:10.1109/TII.2012.2198644, ISSN=1551-3203Google Scholar
- 13.Matheron, G.: Quelques aspects de la montée. Internal Report N-271, Centre de Morphologie Mathematique, Fontainebleau (1972)Google Scholar
- 15.Kaminska-Chuchmala, A., Wilczynski, A.: 3D electric load forecasting using geostatistical simulation method Turning Bands. The works of Wroclaw Scientific Society, series B, XVI(215), 41–48 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Kaminska-Chuchmala, A., Wilczynski, A.: Analysis of different methodological factors on accuracy of spatial electric load forecast performed with Turning Bands method. Rynek Energii 2(87), 54–59 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Lantuejoul, C.: Geostatistical Simulation: Models and Algorithms. Springer (2002)Google Scholar