Adaptive Splitting and Selection Algorithm for Classification of Breast Cytology Images
The article presents an application of Adaptive Splitting and Selection (AdaSS) classifier in the medical decision support system for breast cancer diagnosis. Apart from the canonical malignant versus non-malignant problem we introduced a third class - fibroadenoma, which is a benign tumor of the breast often occurring in women. Medical images are delivered by the Regional Hospital in Zielona Góra, Poland. For the process of segmentation and feature extraction a mixture of Gaussians is used. AdaSS is a combined classifier, based on an evolutionary splitting of feature space into clusters. To increase the overall accuracy of the classification we propose to add a feature selection step to the optimization criterion of the native AdaSS algorithm. Experimental investigation proves that the introduced method is more accurate than previously used classification approaches.
Keywordsmachine learning multiple classifier system clustering and selection evolutionary algorithm breast cancer computer-aided diagnostics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Filipczuk, P., Kowal, M., Marciniak, A.: Feature selection for breast cancer malignancy classification problem. J. Medical Informatics & Technologies 15, 193–199 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta, M.R., Chen, Y.: Theory and use of the em algorithm. Foundations and Trends in Signal Processing 4(3), 224–292 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Jeleń, Ł., Fevens, T., Krzyżak, A.: Classification of breast cancer malignancy using cytological images of fine needle aspiration biopsies. Int. J. Appl. Math. and Comp. Sci. 18(1), 75–83 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Kuncheva, L.I.: Clustering-and-selection model for classifier combination. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems and Allied Technologies, vol. 1, pp. 185–188 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Kuncheva, L.I.: Combining Pattern Classifiers: Methods and Algorithms. Wiley-Interscience (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Marciniak, A., Obuchowicz, A., Monczak, A., Kołodziński, M.: Cytomorphometry of fine needle biopsy material from the breast cancer. In: Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Computer Recognition Systems, CORES 2005, pp. 603–609 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Naz, S., Majeed, H., Irshad, H.: Image segmentation using fuzzy clustering: A survey. In: Proc 6th Int. Conf. Emerging Technologies, ICET 2010, pp. 181–186 (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Wozniak, M., Krawczyk, B.: Combined classifier based on feature space partitioning. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science 22(4) (in press, to appear, 2012)Google Scholar
- 20.Wozniak, M., Zmyslony, M.: Combining classifiers using trained fuser - analytical and experimental results. Neural Network World 13(7), 925–934 (2010)Google Scholar