A Caption Presentation System for the Hearing Impaired People Attending Theatrical Performances
This study addresses information support for hearing impaired people who attend theatrical performances. In present Japan, there are a few theaters that employ programs providing captions for hearing impaired people. The few programs that provide captions only show dialogues and sounds (musical note icons). We propose, implement, and evaluate a caption presentation method for hearing impaired people, which includes support for dialogues, sound effects, and audience responses.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Annual Report on the Aging Society: 2010, Cabinet Office Japan, http://www8.cao.go.jp/kourei/english/annualreport/2010/pdf/p2-3.pdf
- 2.Association of Cochlear Implant Transmitted Audition (ACITA), http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~momo1/sub1/new_sub/akemi100619.html
- 3.Ayako, F., Hiroaki, N., Takehiko, Y.: Speech Balloon Captioning System for Meetings based on Automatic Speech Recognition. In: Proc. 13th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCII 2009), pp. 313–317 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Mizuno, E.: Investigation of Hearing Compensation Needs and Issues in Elderly People. LifeDesign REPORT (January-February 2009) Google Scholar
- 6.Engeki Life, http://engekilife.com/
- 7.G-mark, Earphoneguide Co., Ltd., http://www.eg-gm.jp/g_mark/index.html
- 8.Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Investigation of actual conditions disability children and persons (2008), http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/shintai/06/index.html
- 9.Seiko epson corp. Support to performance with a projector (2009), http://www.epson.jp/osirase/2009/091104_2.html
- 10.The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), Actual Results of Subtitled Broadcasting, http://www.soumu.go.jp/main_sosiki/joho_tsusin/eng/Releases/Telecommunications/100913_b.html
- 11.Theatres of Japan Arts Council, http://www.ntj.jac.go.jp/nou/caption_system.html
- 12.Web-shake Air, Media Access Support Center (NPO), http://npo-masc.org/cn15/pg242.html
- 13.Tatsumoto, Y., Shimizu, A.: Does amount of “laughter of pleasure” increase by the presence of other persons?: An electromyographic study. The Bulletin of Kansai University of Welfare Science, 97–107 (2007)Google Scholar