Improving the Portability and Performance of jViz.RNA – A Dynamic RNA Visualization Software
In this paper, four methods were explored for improving the performance of jViz.RNA’s structure drawing algorithm when dealing with large sequences; First, the approximation based Barnes-Hut algorithm was explored. Second, the effects of using multithreading were measured. additionally, dynamic C libraries, which integrate C code into the JavaTM environment, were investigated. Finally, a technique termed structure recall was examined.
The results demonstrated that the use of the Barnes-Hut algorithm produced the most drastic improvements in run-time, but distorts the structure if too crude of an approximation is used. Multithreading and integration of C code proved to be favorable approaches since these improved the speed at which calculations are done, without distorting the structures.
jViz.RNA is available to download from http://jviz.cs.sfu.ca/.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Darty, K., Denise, A., Ponty, Y.: Varna: Interactive drawing and editing of the rna secondary structure. Bioinformatics 25(15) (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Glen, E.: JVIZ.RNA - A Tool for Visual Comparison and Analysis of RNA Secondary Structures. Master’s thesis, Simon Fraser University (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Hofacker, I.L.: Vienna RNA secondary structure server. Ivo L. Hofacker 31(13), 3429–3431 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Jossinet, F., Westhof, E.: The RnamlView Project. Institut de biologie moleculaire et cellulaire du CNRSGoogle Scholar
- 10.NVIDIA®. CUDATMParallel Programming Made Easy (2011), http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html
- 11.Oracle. Interface Runnable, http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Runnable.html
- 13.Wiese, K.C., Glen, E.: jViz.Rna - An Interactive Graphical Tool for Visualizing RNA Secondary Structure Including Pseudoknots. In: CBMS, pp. 659–664. IEEE Computer Society (2006)Google Scholar