Application of Scalar Multiplication of Edwards Curves to Pairing-Based Cryptography
Edwards curves have efficient scalar multiplication algorithms, and their application to pairing-based cryptography has been studied. In particular, if a pairing-friendly curve used in a pairing-based protocol is isomorphic to an Edwards curve, all the scalar multiplication appearing in the protocol can be computed efficiently. In this paper, we extend this idea to pairing-friendly curves not isomorphic but isogenous to Edwards curves, and add to pairing-friendly curves to which Edwards curves can be applied. Above all, pairing-friendly curves with smaller ρ-values provide more efficient pairing computation. Therefore, we investigate whether pairing-friendly curves with the minimal ρ-values are isogenous to Edwards curves for embedding degree up to 50. Based on the investigation, we present parameters of pairing-friendly curves with 160-bit and 256-bit security level at embedding degree 16 and 24, respectively. These curves have the minimal ρ-values and are not isomorphic but isogenous to Edwards curves, and thus our proposed method is effective for these curves.
KeywordsPairing-friendly curves Edwards curves embedding degree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bach, E., Shallit, J.: Algorithmic number theory. Efficient algorithms. Foundations of Computing Series, vol. 1. MIT Press, Cambridge (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Barreto, P.S.L.M., Galbraith, S., O’hEigeartaigh, C., Scott, M.: Efficient Pairing Computation on Supersingular Abelian Varieties. Designs, Codes and Cryptography, 239–271 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Cocks, C., Pinch, R.G.E.: Identity-based Cryptosystems based on the Weil pairing. Unpublished manuscript (2001)Google Scholar
- 29.Kohel, D.: Endomorphism Rings of Elliptic Curves over Finite Fields. PhD thesis, University of California at Berkeley (1996)Google Scholar
- 30.Miyaji, A., Nakabayashi, M., Takano, S.: New Explicit Conditions of Elliptic Curve traces for FR-reduction. IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals E84-A(5), 1234–1243 (2001)Google Scholar
- 31.Morain, F.: Edwards Curves and CM Curves (2009), http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0904/0904.2243v1.pdf
- 33.Sakai, R., Ohgishi, K., Kasahara, M.: Cryptosystems based on Pairing. In: SCIS 2000 (2000)Google Scholar