Monocular Visual Odometry and Obstacle Detection System Based on Ground Constraints
The realization of visual odometry and obstacle detection system with only a single camera is proposed. Though the rotation and translation parameters of frame-to-frame motion can be extracted from essential matrix using SVD decomposition, the absolute scale of the translation cannot be derived from monocular motion estimation. The scale ambiguity problem is solved by applying constraints based on the planar assumption and the known mounting of the camera. A region-based obstacle detection method is proposed in this paper. Firstly, the image is segmented into regions. Then whether a region is on the ground is determined according to three criteria: homography constraint, feature points distribution and boundary points’ reconstruction. Practical experimental results show that the proposed method successfully estimate the robot location and find the ground plane with only a single camera.
Keywordsmonocular vision visual odometry ground constraints obstacle detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Choi, S., Joung, J., Yu, W., Cho, J.: What does ground tell us? monocular visual odometry under planar motion constraint. In: 2011 11th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS), pp. 1480–1485. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Scaramuzza, D., Fraundorfer, F., Siegwart, R.: Real-time monocular visual odometry for on-road vehicles with 1-point ransac. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2009, pp. 4293–4299. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhan, Q., Huang, S., Wu, J.: Automatic navigation for a mobile robot with monocular vision. In: 2008 IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, pp. 1005–1010. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, H., Yuan, K., Zou, W., Peng, Y.: Real-time region-based obstacle detection with monocular vision. In: 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), pp. 615–619. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhou, J., Li, B.: Homography-based ground detection for a mobile robot platform using a single camera. In: Proceedings 2006 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2006, pp. 4100–4105. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, C., Jiang, S., Pu, Y., Song, K.: Robust ground plane detection for obstacle avoidance of mobile robots using a monocular camera. In: 2010 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 3706–3711. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Hartley, R., Zisserman, A., Ebrary, I.: Multiple view geometry in computer vision, vol. 2. Cambridge Univ. Press (2003)Google Scholar