Using License Plates Recognition for Automate Cruise Control
This paper is presenting an experimental assemblage that is proving the principle of following cars by using in a new way a license plate recognition system. Once the license plate of the followed car is focused by a monoscopic CCD camera, its image is recognized and measured by pixel counting. The image’s dimension is converted into a measure of the distance between the cars, while its position measures the direction. A simple model car, provided with a CCD camera, is wireless controlled by means of a laptop computer, which is running the Image acquisition Toolbox and the Video and Image Processing Blockset of Matlab Simulink. We draw some preliminary conclusions, project the final algorithm that is to be tested and discuss the future implementation of this method.
KeywordsCCD camera automate cruise control license plate recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Girard, A.R., Borges de Sousa, J., Misener, J.A., Hendrick, J.K.: A Control Architecture for Integrated Cooperative Cruise Control and Collision Warning Systems. Berkeley University of California, http://path.berkeley.edu/~anouck/papers/cdc01inv3102.pdf
- 2.Minderhoud, M.M., Hoogendoorn, S.P.: Extended Time-to-Collision Safety Measures for ADAS Safety Assessment. Delft University of Technology, http://www.Delft2001.tudelft.nl/paper%20files/paper1145.doc
- 4.Widmann, G.R., Daniels, M.K., Hamilton, L., Humm, L., Riley, B., Schiffmann, J.K., Schnelker, D.E., Wishon, W.H.: Comparison of Lidar-Based and Radar-Based Adaptive Cruise Control Systems. In: Delphi Automotive Systems Wishon. SAE World Congress, March 6-9 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Balas, M.M., Barna, C.: Using CCD cameras for the car following algorithms. In: Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE 2005, Dubrovnik, pp. 57–62 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Balas, M.M., Balas, V.E.: Monoscopic CCD Cameras as Distance Sensors. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computational Methods Used for Difficult Problems Solving: Development of Intelligent and Complex Systems. AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 1117, pp. 67–73 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Murphy, R.: Sensor and Information fusion for Improved Vision-Based Vehicle Guidance. IEEE Intelligent Systems (November 1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Jiao, J., Ye, Q., Huang, Q.: A configurable method for multi-style license plate recognition. Pattern Recognition (42), 358–369 (2009).Google Scholar
- 9.Balas, M.M., Balas, V.E., Duplaix, J.: In: Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE 2007, Vigo, pp. 304–309 (June 2007)Google Scholar