Some Results on Ultrasonic Image Generation with Biomimetic Sonar Head and Focused Narrow Beams
Airborne ultrasonic images are not often used in practice, mainly because of the poor propagation properties (high absorption) of ultrasonic waves and necessary high computation resources. The paper presents preliminary results of ultrasonic image generation and processing system by a biomimetic sonar head and narrow beams focused on target. The images are generated by a discrete and uniform exploring approach, i.e. the environment is uniformly scanned. Experiments were conducted for 11 cases, based on the combination of 3 main objects, and various image resolutions, 20x20 and 40x40. The objective of the experiments was to estimate the complexity of the ultrasonic image generation method, provided the final purpose, i.e. the recognition of the objects in the image. The results are encouraging and suggest optimization of the proposed method.
Keywordsultrasonic signals image detection signal processing pattern recognition sonar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.South, H.M., et al.: Technologies for sonar processing. John Hopkins APL Technical Digest 19(4), 459–469 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Jensen, J.A., et al.: Synthetic aperture ultrasound imaging. Ultrasonics 44, e5–e15 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Jensen, J.: Ultrasound Imaging and its Modelling. In: Fink, et al. (eds.) Imaging of Complex Media with Acoustic and Seismic Waves, vol. 84, pp. 135–165. Springer (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Mazarel, M., Epure, S., Chiculita, C., Miholca, C., Aiordachioaie, D.: On biomimetic sonar head. Hardware description and analysis. In: The 6th IEEE Int. Symp. for Design and Technology in Electronic Packaging (SIITME 2010), Pitesti, Romania, September 23-26 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Aiordachioaie, D., Frangu, L.: Some results on low resolution airborne ultrasonic image generation and processing. In: The IEEE International Symp. on Signal Processing and Information Technology (ISSPIT 2011), Bilbao, Spain, December 14-17, pp. 434–439 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Peremans, H.: CIRCE project, Univ. of Antwerp, Belgium (2005), http://www.ua.ac.be/main.aspx?c=.APL&n=40656
- 10.Hallam, J.: ChiROPing project, University of Southern Denmark (2012), http://www.chiroping.org/
- 13.Epure, S., Aiordachioaie, D.: On pinnae design and fabrication technology. In: The 17th IEEE Int. Symp. for Design and Technology in Electronic Packaging (SIITME 2011), Timisoara, Romania, October 20-23, pp. 133–136 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Aiordachioaie, D., Frangu, L.: On Ultrasonic Image Generation with Biomimetic Sonar Head and Narrow Beam. In: The 9th International Conference on Communications (COMM 2012), Bucharest, Romania, June 21-23, pp. 91–94 (2012)Google Scholar