Image Categorization Based on Computationally Economic LAB Colour Features
An easy to compute and small colour feature vector is introduced in this paper, as a tool to be used in the process of retrieval or classification of similarly coloured digital images from very large databases. A particular set of “ab” planes from the LAB colour system is used, along with a specific configuration of colour regions within them. The colour feature vector is low dimensional (only 96 components), computationally economic and performs very well on a carefully selected database of rose images, publicly available.
Keywordsimage retrieval feature vector colour similarity colour classification agglomerative hierarchical algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jain, A.K.: Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing. Prentice-Hall International, Inc. (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.Fairchild, M.D.: Color and Image Appearance Models. Color Appearance Models, pp. 340–385. John Wiley and Sons (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Ciobanu, A., Costin, M., Barbu, T.: Extraction of main colors from a digital color image. In: Proceedings of the International Multidisciplinary Scientific Geo-Conference SGEM 2010, Albena, Bulgaria, June 20-25, vol. 1, pp. 1069–1076 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Ciobanu, A., Costin, M.: Improved Color Analysis and Feature Extraction Method for Digital Images. In: 6th European Conference on Intelligent Systems and Technologies, ECIT 2010, Iasi, Romania (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Barbu, T., Ciobanu, A., Costin, M.: Unsupervised Color-Based Image Recognition using a LAB Feature Extraction Technique, Buletinul Institutului Politehnic Iaşi, Universitatea Tehnică “Gheorghe Asachi”, Tom LVII (LXI), Fasc. 3, Secţia Automatică şi Calculatoare (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Sonka, M., Hlavac, V., Boyle, R.: Image Processing, Analysis, and Machine Vision. International Student Edition, Thomson (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Schettini, R., Ciocca, G., Zuffi, S.: Indexing and Retrieval in Colour Image Databases. In: Lindsay, W., RonnierLuo, M. (eds.) Indexing and Retrieval in Colour Image Databases. ch. 10, pp. 183–213. John Wiley & Sons, England (2002)Google Scholar