Driving and Turning Control of a Single-Wheel Mobile Robot
This paper presents driving and balancing control of a single-wheel mobile robot system called the name of GYROBO. GYROBO utilizes a gyro effect to stabilize itself. Three actuators are used to perform driving and balancing tasks. After modification of hardware and relocation of materials inside the wheel housing of the previous GYROBO model, performances of trajectory following control as well as balancing control are improved. Linear controllers are used for both roll, pitch and yaw angle control. GYROBO is required to follow the specified trajectories commanded by a remote operator. Trajectories include a straight line and curved trajectories. Experimental studies of driving and turning control are conducted and its performances are demonstrated.
Keywordssingle-wheel mobile robot gyro effect balancing driving and turning control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Segway, http://www.segway.com
- 3.Jeong, S.H., Takayuki, T.: Wheeled Inverted Pendulum Type Assistant Robot: Design Concept and Mobile Control. In: IEEE IROS, pp. 1932–1937 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Noh, J.S., Lee, G.H., Choi, H.J., Jung, S.: Robust control of a mobile inverted pendulum system using RBF neural network controller. In: IEEE ROBIO, pp. 1932–1937 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Rui, C.L., McClamroch, N.H.: Stabilization and Asymptotic Path Tracking of a Rolling Disk. In: IEEE Conf. on Decision & Control, pp. 4294–4299 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Nandy, G.C., Xu, Y.S.: Dynamic Model of A Gyroscopic Wheel. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2683–2688 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Xu, Y.S., Oh, Y.S.: Control of single wheel robots. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Lauwers, T.B., Kantor, G.A., Hollis, R.L.: A dynamically stable Single-Wheeled Mobile Robot with Inverse Mouse-Ball Drive. In: IEEE Conference on Robotics and Automations, pp. 2884–2889 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Kim, P.K., Park, J.H., Jung, S.: Experimental Studies of Balancing Control for a Disc-Typed Mobile Robot Using a Neural Controller: GYROBO. In: ISIC 2010, Multi-Conference on Systems and Control, pp. 1499–1503 (2010)Google Scholar