Aggressive Manuevering of Unmanned Helicopters: Learning from Human Based on Neural Networks
“Teaching by Showing” control of a small helicopter’s aggressive maneuvering often needs inner aided controllers based on helicopter’s dynamics, which is very complex to identify. In this paper, a neural network based control is proposed, based on the identification of the relationship between the pilot’s control and flight states, and it is a model-free control method. Flight test is done in simulation environment based on real flight data. The results show the effectiveness of the neural network based controller for aggressive flight control.
Keywordsneural network unmanned helicopter learning flight test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Montgomery, J.F., Bekey, G.A.: Learning helicopter control through teaching by showing. In: Proceedings of the 37th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, vol. 4 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Wyeth, G., Wyeth, G., Roberts, J.: Autonomous helicopter hover using an artificial neural network. In: Proceedings 2001 ICRA. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 2, pp. 1635–1640 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Bagnell, J.A., Schneider, J.G.: Autonomous helicopter control using reinforcement learning policy search methods. In: Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Seoul, Korea (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Ng, A.Y., Kim, H.J., Jordan, M.I., Sastry, S.: Autonomous helicopter flight via reinforcement learning. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 16 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Ng, A.Y., Coates, A., Diel, M., Ganapathi, V., Schulte, J., Tse, B., Berger, E., Liang, E.: Autonomous inverted helicopter flight via reinforcement learning. In: International Symposium on Experimental Robotics (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Calise, A.J., Kim, B.S., Leitner, J., Prasad, J.V.R.: Helicopter adaptive flight control using neural networks. In: Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, vol. 4 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson, E.N., Kannan, S.K.: Adaptive trajectory control for autonomous helicopters. Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics 28(3) (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Abbeel, P., Coates, A., Ng, A.Y.: Autonomous helicopter aerobatics through apprenticeship learning. The International Journal of Robotics Research (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Gavrilets, V.: Autonomous aerobatic maneuvering of miniature helicopters. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Aeronautics and Astronautics (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Qi, J., Song, D., Dai, L., Han, J., Wang, Y.: The New Evolution for SIA Rotorcraft UAV Project. Journal of Robotics 1(9) (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Olson, C.L.: FlightGear Flight Simulator (2010), http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/aircraft