A Standard Error Detection Mechanism for Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks
Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks (UWASNs) have some constant factors like energy limitations and node mobility. Energy is a very crucial issue as any kind of recharging is not possible in underwater environment. Energy consumption in each section is important. Saving a small amount of energy helps the life span of the sensor nodes as well as the lifetime of the networks. Especially for static UWASNs, long-term non-time critical application energy efficiency is of major concern. Beside energy efficient protocol design, error control is important in communication as the issue of data integrity is becoming increasingly important. Allowable error rate and undetected error probability in a network is also calculated for noisy channel. Error control is a system design technique that can fundamentally change the trade-offs in a communication system design. An error detection mechanism with low power consumption is also important for saving energy. In this paper, we have tried to find out how we can save our precious energy during communication among sensor nodes and bio mimetic fish-robots. Especially in security and error checking operation in underwater environment based on different error detection and correction mechanisms.
KeywordsUWASNs Error Check Energy Efficiency Underwater Communications CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Liu, L., Zhou, S., Cui, J.-H.: Prospects and problems of wireless communication for underwater sensor networks. Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Etter, P. C.: Underwater acoustic modeling and simulation, 3rd edn.Google Scholar
- 4.Azad, S., Casari, P., Petrioli, C., Petroccia, R., Zorzi, M.: On the Impact of the Envronment on mAC and Routig in shallow water Scenarios. In: IEEE Santander Conference, OCEANS 2011, Santander (Cantabria), Spain, June 6th- 9th (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Cong, Y., Yang, G., Wei, Z., Zhou, W.: Security in underwater Sensor network. In: International Conference on Communication and Mobile Computing (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Khan, I.A., Yun, N.-Y., Kim, Y.-P., Park, S.-H.: Layer Wise Error Detection Model for Underwater Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the Digital Contents Society Conference, vol. 12(1) (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, L., Zhou, S., Chi, J.-H.: Prospects and problems of Wireless Communication for Underwater sensor Networks. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Special Issue: Underwater Sensor Networks: Architectures and Protocols 8(8), 977–994 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Cui, J.-H., Wills, J., Syed, A., Li, Y.: Research challenges and applications for underwater sensor network. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communicationand Networking Conference (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Khan, I.A., Yun, N.-Y., Muminov, S., Park, S.-H.: A Reliable Error Detection Mechanism in Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks. In: Asia Simulation Conference (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Koopman, P., Chakravarty, T.: Cyclick redundancy code (CRC) polynomial selecion for embedded networks. In: The International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Merkey, P., Posner, E.C.: Optimum Cyclic Redundancy Codes for Noiser Channels. TDA progress Report42-76 (October-December 1983)Google Scholar