A Novel Concept of High Voltage Auxiliaries and its Feasibility Study on Blower Motors
Hybrid/Electric Vehicles are expected to be one of the solutions for energy and environmental problems. Up to Now, low power automotive electronics have operated under a battery voltage of 12 V and a large current of more than 10 A. Because of this high current, the power electronic circuits cause substantial losses of power through wire harnesses, a DC/DC converter, semiconductors, and so on. In this paper, we have proposed a novel concept of high voltage auxiliaries, which replaces the 12 V loads with the high voltage loads driven directly by the high voltage battery. It is assured that the power efficiency of the high voltage test system is as high as 94 %, which is at least 10 % higher than that of conventional 12 V blower motor systems.
KeywordsBlower motor Fuel Economy High Voltage Auxiliary Inverter Efficiency Micro-Inverter IC
The authors would like to thank Akio Nakagawa, Norihito Tokura, and Takashi Suzuki for useful discussion, Takeshi Sakai, Shinya Sakurai, and Shogo Ikeura for sample preparation, Yoshitomo Takeuchi and Kazutoshi Shiomi for inverter evaluation. The authors also wish to thank Yasushi Tanaka, Noriyuki Iwamori, and Masahiro Sou for their support throughout this study.
- 1.Kawahashi A (2004) In: Proceedings of International Symposium. Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs, p 23Google Scholar
- 2.Rahman K, Anwar M, Schulz S, Kaiser E, Turnbull P, Gleason S, Given B, Grimmer M (2011) SAE Tech Pap Ser, 2011-01-0355Google Scholar
- 3.Shiraki S, Takahashi S, Yamada A, Yamamoto M, Senda K, Ashida Y, Hiruma A, Tokura N (2012). Jpn J Appl Phys 51(04DP03):1–4Google Scholar
- 4.Nakagawa A, Funaki H, Yamaguchi Y, Suzuki F (1991) In: Proceedings of international symposium. Power semiconductor devices and ICs, p 321Google Scholar
- 5.Sakurai K, Maeda D, Hasegawa H (2008) In: Proceedings of international symposium. Power semiconductor devices and ICs, p 323Google Scholar
- 6.Yasuhara N, Nakagawa A, Furukawa K (1991) IEDM Tech Dig, p 141Google Scholar
- 7.Akiyama H, Yasuda N, Moritani J, Takanashi K, Majumdar G (2004). In: Proceedings of the international symposium. Power semiconductor devices and ICs, p 375Google Scholar
- 8.Endo K, Baba Y, Udo Y, Yasui M, Sano Y (1994).In: Proceedings of the international symposium. Power semiconductor devices and ICs, p 379Google Scholar
- 9.Ashida Y, Takahashi S, Shiraki S, Tokura N, Nakagawa A (2012) Jpn. J Appl Phys 51(04DP02):1–5Google Scholar