Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress pp 1655-1668 | Cite as
Acoustic Mode and Structure Mode Analysis of Heavy Duty Truck Muffler
To reveal the muffler acoustic performances and structure vibration characteristics, the computational fluid dynamical (CFD) model and finite element method (FEM) model were established. Acoustic analysis results show that the muffler not only has complex acoustic vibration modes, but also the mode frequency approximately equals the engine’s incentive frequency at rated speed, so the resonance may occur and the noise eliminating effect will be reduced. Structure vibration modal analysis shows that the muffler system has high natural frequency and the natural frequency is widely distributed. So while the engine runs at rated speed or idling speed, its natural frequencies are close to the engine exhausting incentive frequencies. It is the main cause that the muffler cannot reduce the noise effectively and needs further optimization.
KeywordsMuffler Acoustic mode Structure vibration mode Finite element method (FEM) Modal test
The authors would like to acknowledge the support of Beijing Municipal Commission of Education under the grant No. PXM2012_014224_000023 and Beijing Information Science & Technology University graduate innovation fund project under the grant No.5028211000.
- 1.Chengwu L, Dingjian H, Yong Z (2009) Modal analysis of interior acoustic cavity based on noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). J Fujian Univ Technol 7(4):347–350Google Scholar
- 2.Jian P, Gang S, Hua H (2006) Automotive noise and vibration—principle and application. Beijing Institute of Technology Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 3.Xingda Z, Wenxue Z (2011) Analysis of acoustic performance resistance muffler based on acoustic mode. J Yanbian Univ (Nat Sci) 37(3):265–268Google Scholar
- 5.Chen Y, Chengwu L (2008) Study and analysis on the car body NVH characteristics. J Guangxi Univ Technol 19(4):5–9Google Scholar
- 6.Gonghuan D, Zhemin Z, Xiufen G (2010) Acoustic foundation. Nanjing University Press, NanjingGoogle Scholar
- 7.Zenggang L, Fuliang Z (2010) Virtual lab acoustics simulation calculation and advanced application example. National Defense Industry Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 8.Lingyu S, Zhenhua L (2003) Discussions on modal analysis of interior acoustic field. Automot Eng 25(1):74–77Google Scholar
- 9.Chulin L, Shenglan Z, Yin F, Chaoyang Z (2008) Hyperworks analysis application example. Mechanical Industry Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 10.Shuqian C, Wende Z, Longxiang X (2001) Vibration structure modal analysis—principle, experiment and application. Tianjin University Press, TianjinGoogle Scholar