Don’t Panic: Enhancing Soft Skills for Civil Protection Workers
- 1.9k Downloads
Don’t Panic is a serious game created to enhance soft skills in the crisis management field. The game is conceived to (i) add the fun element to training about stressful situations linked to panic management and (ii) teach skills such as communication styles, team management and coordination, time management, stress management and coping strategies. In this paper we present the first paper-based version of the game and its evaluation. The paper discusses the game design motivations, the methodological reasons behind its conception, and presentsa pilot study. Results show that, even in its paper version, the game is a promising tool if linked with adequate and realistic procedures. This opens methodological questions about the role of computer based serious games.
KeywordsSerious Games Crisis Management Civil Protection Board Games Evaluation Soft Skills
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Boud, D., Keogh, R., Walker, D.: Reflection: turning experience into learning, Routledge (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.Incident commander, the game, http://www.incidentcommander.net/product.shtml
- 5.Di Loreto, I., Mora, S.: DivitioniCollaborative serious games for crisis management: an overview. In: Proceeding ofd 21st International IEEE WETICE Conference (to appear)Google Scholar
- 7.Disaster Planning and Emergency Management, http://emergency-planning.blogspot.com/ (accessed February 2012)
- 10.Hazmat Hotzone, the game, http://www.etc.cmu.edu/projects/hazmat_2005/about.php
- 11.Benjamins, T., Rothkrantz, L.J.M.: Interactive Simulation in Crisis Management. In: Proceedings of ISCRAM 2007, Delft, The Netherlands (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Pandemic board game, http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/pandemic.html
- 13.Monopoly game, http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/en_US/
- 14.Report on 9-11, http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf
- 15.Heysel stadium disaster, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster
- 16.Love Parade in Duisburg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Parade_stampede