How about Using the PCA to Analyze Changes in Learning Styles?
Nowadays collaborative educational processes require the use of increasingly sophisticated analytical tools to help teachers, tutors and students to identify, at best, emergent behaviors. In this paper we describe the use of a module that has been designed and developed to perform Principal Component Analysis as internal facility of the on-line learning place LIFE to identify groups of students characterized by similar learning styles and, as well, to study the evolution (one or two years away) of such styles.
KeywordsPCA docimology learning styles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brusilovsky, P., Peylo, C.: Adaptive and Intelligent Web-based Educational Systems. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education 13, 156–169 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Graf, S.: Adaptivity in learning management systems focusing on learning styles, Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Informatics, Vienna Univerity of Technology (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Popescu, E., Badina, C., Moraret, L.: Accomodating Learning Styles in an Adaptive Educational System. Informatica 34, 451–462 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Giovannella, C., Carcone, S., Camusi, A.: What and how to monitor complex educative experiences. Toward the Definition of a General Framework, IxD&A, 11&12, 7–23 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Coffield, C., Mosely, D., Hall, E., Ecclestone, K.: Learning styles and Pedagogy in Post-16 Learning. LSRC. Univ. of Newcastle upon Tyne, London (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Giovannella, C., Spadavecchia, C., Camusi, A.: Educational Experiences and Experiences Styles, IxD&A, 9&10, 104–116 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Felder, R.M., Silverman, L.K.: Learning and teaching styles in engineering education. Engineering Education 78(7), pp. 674–681 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Viola, S.R., Graf, S., Kinshuk, Leo, T.: Analysis of Felder-Silverman Index of Learning Styles by a Data-driven Statistical Approach. International Journal of Interactive Technology and Smart Education 4, 7–18 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Felder, R.M., Spurlin, J.: Applications, Reliability and Validity of the Index of Learning Styles. Int. J. Engng. 21, 103–112 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Giovannella, C., Moggio, F.: Toward a general model of the learning experience. In: ICALT 2011, pp. 644–645. IEEE Publisher (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.MacQueen, J.B.: Some Methods for classification and Analysis of Multivariate Observations. In: Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, vol. 1, pp. 281–297. University of California Press, Berkeley (1967)Google Scholar
- 13.Learning in an Interactive Framework to Experience, http://life.mifav.uniroma2.it
- 14.Giovannella, C.: What can we learn from long-time lasting measurments of Felder-Silverman’s learning styles? In: ICALT 2012. IEEE Publisher (2012)Google Scholar