Real-Time Phase Boundary Detection for Colonoscopy Videos Using Motion Vector Templates
Colonoscopy is the preferred screening method currently available for detection of colorectal cancer and its precursor lesions, colorectal polyps. However, recent data suggest that there is a significant miss rate for the detection of polyps in the colon during colonoscopy. Therefore, techniques for real-time quality measurement and feedback are necessary to aid the endoscopist towards optimal inspection to improve the overall quality of colonoscopy during the procedure. A typical colonoscopy procedure consists of two phases: an insertion phase and a withdrawal phase. One of the most essential tasks in real-time fully automated quality measurement is to find the location of the boundary between insertion and withdrawal phases. In this paper, we present a method based on motion vector templates to detect the phase boundary in real-time. The proposed method detects the phase boundary with a better accuracy and a faster speed compared to our previous method.
KeywordsColonoscopy phase boundary end of insertion motion vectors camera motion estimation motion vector templates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Cancer Society. Colorectal Cancer Facts & Figures (2008), http://www.cancer.org/docroot/STT/content/STT_1x_Cancer_Facts_and_Figures_2008.asp
- 4.Oh, J., Rajbal, M.A., Muthukudage, J.K., Tavanapong, W., Wong, J., de Groen, P.C.: Real-Time Phase Boundary Detection in Colonoscopy Videos. In: 6th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis, Salzburg, pp. 724–729 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Bouguet, J.Y.: Pyramidal Implementation of the Lucas Kanade Feature Tracker. Intel Corporation Microprocessor Research Labs 1(2), 1–9 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Bradski, G., Kaehler, A.: Learning OpenCV:Computer Vision with the OpenCV Library. O’Reilly Media (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Nguyen, T., Laurendeau, D., Branzan, A.: A Robust Method for Camera Motion Estimation in Movies Based on Optical Flow. Int. J. Intell. Syst. Technol. Appl. 9(3/4), 228–238 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Stanek, S.R., Tavanapong, W., Wong, J., Oh, J., Nawarathna, R., Muthukudage, J., de Groen, P.C.: SAPPHIRE Middleware and Software Development Kit for Medical Video Analysis. In: 24th IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, Bristol, pp. 1–6 (2011)Google Scholar