Out-of-Plane Motion Compensation in Cine-MRI
Significant socio-economic burden of colonic motility disorders necessitates in-depth analysis of this pathology. Current analysis techniques are based on diameter measurements of colonic lumen on cine-MR images. Interleaved multi-plane acquisition makes it difficult to perform simultaneous measurements on the line of plane intersections due to the out-of-plane motion (OPM) caused by respiration affecting the underlying anatomy. Low temporal acquisition rate and dark-banding artifact are the challenging factors for OPM compensation. In this paper, we propose the use of manifold learning in combination with in-plane motion tracking for estimating OPM. We evaluate the effectiveness of our approach on 8 MR patient data sets. Experimental results show the good performance of our approach. The proposed method is independent of the acquisition rate and is not limited to this specific application.
KeywordsMotion compensation manifold learning motility functional cine magnetic resonance imaging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bassotti, G., de Roberto, G., Castellani, D., Sediari, L., Morelli, A.: Normal aspects of colorectal motility and abnormalities in slow transit constipation. World J. Gastroenterol. 11(18), 2691–2696 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Georg, M., Souvenir, R., Hope, A., Pless, R.: Manifold learning for 4d ct reconstruction of the lung. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, CVPRW 2008, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Glocker, B., Buhmann, S., Kirchhoff, C., Mussack, T., Reiser, M., Navab, N.: Towards a computer aided diagnosis system for colon motility dysfunctions. In: SPIE Medical Imaging, San Diego, California, USA (February 2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Kutter, O., Kirchhoff, S., Berkovic, M., Reiser, M., Navab, N.: Spatio-temporal registration in multiplane mri acquisitions for 3d colon motility analysis. In: SPIE Medical Imaging, San Diego, California, USA (February 2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Lienemann, A., Sprenger, D., Steitz, H.O., Korell, M., Reiser, M.: Detection and mapping of intraabdominal adhesions by using functional cine mr imaging: preliminary results. Radiology 217(2), 421–425 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Shannon, C.E.: Communication in the presence of noise. In: Proceedings of the IRE, vol. 37(1), pp. 10–21 (1949)Google Scholar