The Empathy Machine
The Empathy Machine is an interactive installation that augments a visitor’s empathic sense during a social conversation. Empathy is a key component of interpersonal interactions that is often neglected by modern communication technologies. This system uses facial expression recognition to identify the emotional state of a user’s conversation partner. It algorithmically generates emotional music to match the expressive state of the partner and plays the music to the user in a non-disruptive manner. The result is an augmentation of the user’s emotional response to the emotional expression of their partner.
Keywordsemotional music synthesis facial expression recognition empathic interaction
- 1.Gabrielsson, A., Lindström, E.: The influence of musical structure on emotional expression. In: Juslin, P.N.E., Sloboda, J.A.E. (eds.) Music and Emotion: Theory and Research. Series in affective science, pp. 223–248. Oxford University Press, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Preston, S.D., de Waal, F.B.M.: Empathy: Its ultimate and proximate bases. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 25(01), 1 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Saragih, J., Lucey, S., Cohn, J.: Deformable model fitting by regularized landmark mean-shift. International Journal of Computer Vision, 1–16 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Valstar, M., Pantic, M.: Combined support vector machines and hidden markov models for modeling facial action temporal dynamics. In: Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, pp. 118–127. Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Wallis, I., Ingalls, T., Campana, E.: A Rule-Based Generative Music System Controlled by Desired Valence and Arousal. In: SMC 2011 (2011)Google Scholar