Reactive Service Selection in Dynamic Service Environments
Due to the highly dynamic nature of services (web services can enter or leave the system at any time, or change their characteristics), adaptation to change during service composition is necessary to meet user needs. Yet current approaches to change handling detect quality violations and service unavailability only after their occurrence (after executing the corresponding service), resulting in undesired situations at execution time from which recovery (usually through costly replanning) might not always be possible. In response, this paper presents a novel reactive selection algorithm, which adapts to changes in the environment efficiently while performing the selection, ensuring that the selected composite service is executable, satisfactory and optimal prior to execution. The algorithm’s effectiveness is demonstrated via experimental results.
Keywordsservice composition adaptive service selection quality of service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yu, T., Zhang, Y., Lin, K.: Efficient algorithms for Web services selection with end-to-end QoS constraints. ACM Trans. Web. 1 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Canfora, G., Penta, M.D., Esposito, R., Villani, M.L.: An approach for QoS-aware service composition based on genetic algorithms. In: 2005 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, pp. 1069–1075 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Canfora, G., Penta, M.D., Esposito, R., Villani, M.L.: QoS-Aware Replanning of Composite Web Services. In: 2005 IEEE International Conference on Web Services, pp. 121–129 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Berbner, R., Spahn, M., Repp, N., Heckmann, O., Steinmetz, R.: Dynamic Replanning of Web Service Workflows. In: 2007 IEEE International Conference on Digital Ecosystems and Technologies, pp. 211–216 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Baresi, L., Ghezzi, C., Guinea, S.: Towards Self-Healing Service Compositions. In: PriSE 2004, First Conference on the Principles of Software Engineering (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Barakat, L., Miles, S., Poernomo, I., Luck, M.: Efficient Multi-granularity Service Composition. In: 2011 IEEE International Conference on Web Services, pp. 227–234 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Ivanovic, D., Carro, M., Hermenegildo, M.: Towards Data-Aware QoS-driven Adaptation for Service Orchestrations. In: 2010 IEEE International Conference on Web Services, pp. 107–114 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Barakat, L., Miles, S., Luck, M.: Efficient Correlation-aware Service Selection. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Web Services (to appear)Google Scholar