Identification of Confinement Regimes in Tokamak Plasmas by Conformal Prediction on a Probabilistic Manifold
Pattern recognition is becoming an increasingly important tool for making inferences from the massive amounts of data produced in magnetic confinement fusion experiments. However, the measurements obtained from the various plasma diagnostics are typically affected by a considerable statistical uncertainty. In this work, we consider the inherent stochastic nature of the data by modeling the measurements by probability distributions in a metric space. Information geometry permits the calculation of the geodesic distances on such manifolds, which we apply to the important problem of the classification of plasma confinement regimes. We use a distance-based conformal predictor, which we first apply to a synthetic data set. Next, the method yields an excellent classification performance with measurements from an international database. The conformal predictor also returns confidence and credibility measures, which are particularly important for interpretation of pattern recognition results in stochastic fusion data.
KeywordsMagnetic confinement fusion probabilistic manifold conformal predictor
- 5.Lukianitsa, A., Zhdanov, F., Zaitsev, F.: Analyses of ITER operation mode using the support vector machine technique for plasma discharge classification. Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 50(6, article no. 065013) (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Meakins, A., McDonald, D., JET-EFDA Contributors: The application of classification methods in a data driven investigation of the JET L-H transition. Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 52(7, article no. 075005) (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Murari, A., Vagliasindi, G., Zedda, M., Felton, R., Sammon, C., Fortuna, L., Arena, P., JET-EFDA Contributors: Fuzzy logic and support vector machine approaches to regime identification in JET. IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 34(3), 1013–1020 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Murari, A., Vega, J., Mazon, D., Rattà, G.A., Svensson, J., Palazzo, S., Vagliasindi, G., Arena, P., Boulbé, C., Faugeras, B., Fortuna, L., Moreau, D., JET-EFDA Contributors: Innovative signal processing and data analysis methods on JET for control in the perspective of next-step devices. Nucl. Fusion 50(5, art. no. 055005) (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Vega, J., Murari, A., Pereira, A., González, S., Pastor, I.: Accurate and reliable image classification by using conformal predictors in the TJ-II Thomson scattering. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 81(10, article no. 10E118) (2010)Google Scholar