Modeling and Model Predictive Control of Nonlinear Hydraulic System
This paper deals with modeling and control of a hydraulic three tank system. A process of creating a computer model in MATLAB / Simulink environment is described and optimal PID and model predictive controllers are proposed. Modeling starts with creation of an initial mathematical model based on first principles approach. Further, the initial model is modified to obtain better correspondence with real-time system and parameters of the modified system are identified from measurements. The real time system contains nonlinearities which cannot be neglected and therefore are identified and included in the final mathematical model. Resulting model is used for control design. As the real-time system has long time constants, usage of Simulink model dramatically speeds up design process. Optimal PID and MPC controllers are proposed and compared. Described techniques are not limited to one particular modeling problem but can be used as an illustrative example for modeling of many technological processes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bobál, V., Böhm, J., Fessl, J., Macháček, J.: Digital Self-tuning Controllers: Algorithms, Implementation and Applications. Springer-Verlag London Ltd. (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Ljung, L.: System identification: theory for the user. Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Himmelblau, D.M., Riggs, J.B.: Basic principles and calculations in chemical engineering. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Amira, DTS200 Laboratory Setup Three - Tank - System. Amira GmbH, Duisburg (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Humusoft, Real Time Toolbox. Humusoft, Praha, (2011), http://www.humusoft.cz/produkty/rtt/
- 9.Chalupa, P., Novák, J., Bobál, V.: Modeling of Hydraulic Control Valves. In: Proceedings of the 13th WSEAS International Conference (ACMOS 2011), Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain, May 27-29, pp. 195–200 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Chalupa, P., Novák, J., Bobál, V.: Comprehensive Model of DTS200 Three Tank System in Simulink. International Journal of Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences 6(2), 358–365 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Chalupa, P.: STuMPCoL Self-Tuning Model Predictive Controllers Library (2012), http://www.fai.utb.cz/people/chalupa/STuMPCoL
- 13.Kwon, W.H., Han, S.: Receding Horizon Control, 380 pages. Springer, London (2005) 978-1-84628-024-5Google Scholar