Local Alignment of Gradient Features for Face Sketch Recognition
Automatic recognition of face sketches is a challenging problem. It has application in forensics. An artist drawn sketch based on the descriptions from the witnesses can be used as the test image to recognize a person from the photo database of suspects. In this paper, we propose a novel method for face sketch recognition. We use the edge features of a face sketch and face photo image to create a feature string called ’edge-string’. The edge-strings of the face photo and face sketch are then compared using the Smith-Waterman algorithm for local alignments. The results on CUHK (Chinese University of Hong Kong) student dataset show the effectiveness of the proposed approach in face sketch recognition.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kanade, T.: Picture Processing by Computer Complex and Recognition of Human Faces, Technical report, Dept. Information Science, Kyoto Univ. (1973)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, W., Gao, Y.: Recognizing partially occluded faces from a single sample per class using string-based matching. In: Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 3, pp. 496–509 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Bunke, H.: Structural and syntactic pattern recognition. In: Chen, C.H., Pau, L.F., Wang, P.S.P. (eds.) Handbook of Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision, pp. 163–209. World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Tang, X., Wang, X.: Face Sketch Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (CSVT), Special Issue on Image- and Video- Based Biometrics 14(1), 50–57 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, W., Wang, X., Tang, X.: Coupled Information-Theoretic Encoding for Face Photo-Sketch Recognition. Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 513–520 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Otsu, N.: A threshold selection method from gray-level histogram. IEEE Transactions on System, Man and Cybernetics SMC-9(1), 62–66 (1979)Google Scholar
- 17.Huo, Y., Wei, G., Zhang, Y., Wu, L.: An adaptive threshold for the Canny Operator of edge detection, iccsee. In: International Conference on Image Analysis and Signal Processing, pp. 371–374 (2010)Google Scholar