Open and Interoperable Maritime Surveillance Framework Set to Improve Sea-Borders Control
This study presents an open and interoperable maritime surveillance framework with multimodal sensor networks and an automated decision-making. The intention is to improve sea-border control, plugging the gaps in the maritime security with interoperability solutions and have wide-area situational awareness, thus particular reducing the number of illegal immigrants crossing sea borders in small boats, with a cost-effective approach. In this paper initial results are presented. This research is a part of a European project supported by ITEA2, Eureka Cluster Programme (RECONSURVE Project, no: ITEA2 09036).
Keywordsmaritime surveillance interoperability situational awareness threat analysis vessel classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ex-post Evaluation of PASR Activities in the field of Security and Interim. Evaluation of FP7 Security Research. CBRN Case Study, P O Box 159 (January 2011)Google Scholar
- 2.European Commission, Communication on examining the creation of a European Border Surveillance System, COM (2008) 68 final, Brussels (February 13, 2008b) Google Scholar
- 3.Dogac, A., Kabak, Y., Bulca, A., Namli, T., Erbas, C., Yilmaz, B., Tuncer Cetin, F.: RECONSURVE: JC3IEDM and EDXL based Emergency Management Service Oriented Architecture for Maritime Surveillance. To be appear on eChallenges, Proceedings (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.JC3IEDM, Joint Consultation, Command and Control Information Exchange Data Model, MIP. ’True’ JC3IEDM ratified as NATO STANAG 5255. MIPGoogle Scholar
- 5.Situational Awareness Ontology, http://www.srdc.com.tr/projects/reconsurve/documents/SAO/SituationalAwarenessOntology.owl
- 6.Bacchelli, F., Boury-Brisset, A., Isenor, A., Kuehne, S., Martinez, R.B., Miles, J., Mojta-hedzadeh, V., Poell, R., Rasmussen, R., Uzunali, A., Wunder, M.: Final Report of Task Group IST-075 Semantic Interoperability (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Tuncer, F., Kabak, Y., Yilmaz, B., Dogac, A., Erbas, C.: Semantic Interoperable C4I systems for maritime surveillance: The RECONSURVE Approach. In: NATO Information Systems Technology Panel Symposium (IST-101 / RSY-024)Google Scholar
- 8.OGC Sensor Web Enablement, http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/sensorwebdwg