Aspect Oriented Business Process Modelling with Precedence
Complexity is a major concern which is aimed to be overcome by people through modelling. One way of reducing complexity is separation of concerns, e.g. separation of business process from applications. One sort of concerns are cross-cutting concerns i.e. concerns which are scattered and tangled through one or several models. In business process management, examples of such concerns are security and privacy policies. To deal with these cross-cutting concerns, the aspect orientated approach was introduced in the software development area and recently also in the business process management area. The work presented in this paper elaborates on aspect oriented process modelling. It extends earlier work by defining a mechanism for capturing multiple concerns and specifying a precedence order according to which they should be handled in a process. A formal syntax of the notation is presented precisely capturing the extended concepts and mechanisms. Finally, the relevance of the approach is demonstrated through a case study.
KeywordsBusiness Process Modelling BPMN Aspect Oriented Separation of concerns
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Belblidia, N., Debbabi, M.: Formalizing AspectJ Weaving for Static Pointcuts. In: SEFM, pp. 50–59. IEEE Computer Society (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Cappelli, C., Leite, J.C.S.P., Batista, T., Silva, L.: An aspect-oriented approach to business process modeling. In: Proceedings of the 15th Workshop on Early Aspects, EA 2009, pp. 7–12. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Charfi, A., Mezini, M.: Hybrid web service composition: business processes meet business rules. In: Aiello, M., Aoyama, M., Curbera, F., Papazoglou, M.P. (eds.) ICSOC, pp. 30–38. ACM (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Charfi, A., Mezini, M.: AO4BPEL: An Aspect-oriented Extension to BPEL. In: World Wide Web, pp. 309–344 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Ho, W.-M., Jézéquel, J.-M., Pennaneac’h, F., Plouzeau, N.: A Toolkit for Weaving Aspect Oriented UML Designs. In: AOSD, pp. 99–105 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Jalali, A.: Foundation of Aspect Oriented Business Process Management. Master’s thesis, Stockholm University (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Jalali, A., Wohed, P., Ouyang, C.: Dynamic Weaving of Aspects for Business Process Management Systems. Technical report, Dept. of Computer and Systems Sciences, Stockholm University (March 2012)Google Scholar
- 18.OMG. Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN), Version 2.0 (2011), http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/2.0/PDF/ (accessed March 2012)
- 20.Perin-Souza, A., Cappelli, C., Santoro, F.M., Azevedo, L.G., do Prado Leite, J.C.S., Batista, T.V.: Service identification in aspect-oriented business process models. In: Gao, J.Z., Lu, X., Younas, M., Zhu, H. (eds.) SOSE, pp. 164–174. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar