A Bitstream Relocation Technique to Improve Flexibility of Partial Reconfiguration
The latest commercial field programmable gate array (FPGA) like a Virtex-6 can perform partial reconfiguration (PR). PR can take full advantage of FPGA’s reconfigurability. However, PR bitstream (PRB) which created by authorized design flow cannot be relocated to other partially reconfigurable regions (PRRs). This indicates that the preparation of many PRBs are needed to perform a flexible partial reconfiguration. This paper presents a uniforming design technique for PRRs in order to relocate their PRB. Additionally, our design technique enables to implement large partial module by combining neighboring PRRs. To make relocatable, our technique only restricts the placement of reconfigurable resource and the route of interconnection. Therefore, our design can be achieved only using Xilinx EDA tools. Through verification, the correct operation of the relocated PRBs is confirmed.
KeywordsPartial Reconfiguration Reconfigurable Computing Bitstream Relocation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Xilinx Inc., Partial Reconfiguration of Xilinx FPGAs Using ISE Design Suite, WP374(v1.1) (July 6, 2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Altera Inc., Increasing Design Functionality with Partial and Dynamic Reconfiguration in 28-nm FPGAs, WP374(v1.1) (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Xilinx Inc., Virtex-6 FPGA Configuration User Guide, UG360(v3.2) (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Kalte, H., Porrmann, M.: REPLICA2Pro: Task relocation by bitstream manipulation in Virtex-II/Pro FPGAs. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Computing Frontiers, pp. 403–412 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Corbetta, S., Morandi, M., Novati, M., Santambrogio, M.D., Sciuto, D., Spoletini, P.: Internal and External Bitstream Relocation for Partial Dynamic Reconfiguration. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems 17(11) (November 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Sudarsanam, A., Kallam, R., Dasu, A.: PRR-PRR Dynamic Relocation. IEEE Computer Architecture Letters 8(2) (July-December 2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Becker, T., Luk, W., Cheung, P.Y.K.: Enhancing Relocatability of Partial Bitstreams for Run-Time Reconfiguration. In: 15th Annual IEEE Symposium on Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines 2007, pp. 35–44 (April 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Montminy, D.P., Baldwin, R.O., Williams, P.D., Mullins, B.E.: Using Relocatable Bitstreams for Fault Tolerance. In: Second NASA/ESA Conference on Adaptive Hardware and System 2007, pp. 701–708 (August 2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Xilinx Inc., Constraints Guide, UG625 (v12.3) (September 21, 2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Xilinx Inc., PlanAhead Software Tutorial Partial Reconfiguration of a Processor Peripheral, UG744 (v13.2) (July 6, 2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Plasma - most MIPS(TM) opcode: Overview: Open-Cores, http://opencores.org/project,plasma,overview