Evolving Bin Packing Heuristic Using Micro-Differential Evolution with Indirect Representation
- 1.6k Downloads
The development of low-level heuristics for solving instances of a problem is related to the knowledge of an expert. He needs to analyze several components from the problem instance and to think out an specialized heuristic for solving the instance. However if any inherent component to the instance gets changes, then the designed heuristic may not work as it used to do it. In this paper it is presented a novel approach to generated low-level heuristics; the proposed approach implements micro-Differential Evolution for evolving an indirect representation of the Bin Packing Problem. It was used the Hard28 instance, which is a well-known and referenced Bin Packing Problem instance. The heuristics obtained by the proposed approach were compared against the well know First-Fit heuristic, the results of packing that were gotten for each heuristic were analized by the statistic non-parametric test known as Wilcoxon Signed Rank test.
KeywordsDifferential Evolution Cutting Plane Algorithm Hard28 Instance Donor Vector Grammatical Evolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Burke, E.K., Hart, E., Kendall, G., Newall, J., Ross, P., Schulenbur, S.: Hyperheuristics: An emerging direction in modern search technology. In: Glover, F., Kochenberger, G. (eds.) Handbook of Meta-Heuristics, pp. 457–474. Kluwer (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Burke, E.K., Kendall, G.: Search Methodologies: Introductory Tutorials in Optimization and Decision Support Techniques. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Coffman Jr., E.G., Johnson, D.S., Mcgeoch, L.A., Weber, R.R.: Bin Packing with Discrete Item Sizes Part II: Average-Case Behavior of FFD and BFD 13, 384–402 (1997) (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 6.Falkenauer, E., Delchambre, A.: A genetic algorithm for bin packing and line balancing. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 2, pp. 1186–1192 (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. University of Michigan Press (1975)Google Scholar
- 9.Luke, S.: Essentials of Metaheuristics. Lulu (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Schoenfield, J.E.: Fast, exact solution of open bin packing problems without linear programming. PhD thesis. US Army Space and Missile Defense Command, Huntsville, Alabama, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Soubeiga, E.: Development and application of hyperheuristics to personnel scheduling. PhD thesis, University of Nottingham (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Yang, X.S.: Nature Inspired Metaheuristic Algorithms, 2nd edn. Luniver Press (2008)Google Scholar