Analysis of Selected Aspects of “IBM I” Security
The article focuses on analyzing influence of IBM i security mechanisms in network layer on general system performance. Impact of system’s security mechanisms on both system and network resources are presented. Additionally, special security metrics is presented to enable comparison of security level between different system configurations. General guidelines for using security mechanisms of IBM i are given. The paper concludes that because of deep integration of security mechanisms, no major impact on the overall system performance was observed. Propositions of further research are also given.
KeywordsIBM System i security security metrics network security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Engelsman, W.: Information Assets and their Value. Univ. of Twente (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Brinkley, D.L., Schell, R.R.: Concepts and Terminology for Computer Security. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Jansen, W.: Directions in Security Metrics Research. National Institute of Standards and Technology (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.IBM i information center, http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/index.jsp (quoted: May 20, 2011)
- 6.Swanson, M., Bartol, N., Sabato, J., Hash, J., Graffo, L.: Security Metrics Guide for Information Technology Systems. National Institute of Standards and Technology (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Liderman, K.: O pomiarach bezpieczeństwa teleinformatycznego. In: IAiR WAT (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Introduction to IBM i for Computer Professionals, Student Notebook, IBM (2008) Google Scholar
- 9.Cook, J., Cantalupo, J.C., Lee, M.: Security Guide for IBM i V6.1, IBM (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Murdoch, J. (ed.): PSM Security Measurement White Paper, PSM Safety & Security, TWG (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Value proposition for IBM System i, International Technology Group (2008), http://www.compu-tech-inc.com/downloads/ISW03005USEN-ITC-Report.pdf