A Simple Data Compression Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks
The energy consumption of each wireless sensor node is one of critical issues that require careful management in order to maximize the lifetime of the sensor network since the node is battery powered. The main energy consumer in each node is the communication module that requires energy to transmit and receive data over the air. Data compression is one of possible techniques that can reduce the amount of data exchanged between wireless sensor nodes. In this paper, we proposed a simple lossless data compression algorithm that uses multiple Huffman coding tables to compress WSNs data adaptively. We demonstrate the merits of our proposed algorithm in comparison with recently proposed LEC algorithm using various real-world sensor datasets.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Energy Efficiency Data Compression Signal Processing Adaptive Entropy Encoder Huffman Coding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (2000)Google Scholar
- Sadler, C.M., Martonosi, M.: Data compression algorithms for energy-constrained devices in delay tolerant networks. In: Proceedings of the 4th international conference on Embedded networked sensor systems - SenSys 2006, p. 265 (2006)Google Scholar
- Ciancio, A., Pattem, S., Ortega, A., Krishnamachari, B.: Energy-Efficient Data Representation and Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks Based on a Distributed Wavelet Compression Algorithm. In: Proceedings of the Fifth international Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 309–316 (2006)Google Scholar
- Schoellhammer, T., Greenstein, B., Osterweil, E., Wimbrow, M., Estrin, D.: Lightweight temporal compression of microclimate datasets [wireless sensor networks. In: 29th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks, pp. 516–524 (2004)Google Scholar
- Maurya, A.K., Singh, D., Sarje, A.K.: Median Predictor based Data Compression Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Network. International Journal of Smart Sensors and Ad Hoc Networks (IJSSAN) 1(1), 62–65 (2011)Google Scholar
- Kolo, J.G., Ang, L.-M., Seng, K.P., Prabaharan, S.: Performance Comparison of Data Compression Algorithms for Environmental Monitoring Wireless Sensor Networks. International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, IJCAT (article in press, 2012)Google Scholar
- Liang, Y.: Efficient Temporal Compression in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 36th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2011), pp. 466–474 (2011)Google Scholar
- SensorScope deployments homepage (2012), http://sensorscope.epfl.ch/index.php/Main_Page (accessed: January 2012)
- Davis, K.J.: No Title (2006), http://cheas.psu.edu/data/flux/wcreek/wcreek2006met.txt (accessed: January 6, 2012)
- Sensirion homepage, (2012), http://www.sensirion.com (accessed: January 6, 2012)
- Seismic dataset (2012), http://www-math.bgsu.edu/?zirbel/ (accessed: January 6, 2012)