Visual Based Contour Detection by Using the Improved Short Path Finding
Contour detection is an important characteristic of human vision perception. Humans can easily find the objects contour in a complex visual scene; however, traditional computer vision cannot do well. This paper primarily concerned with how to track the objects contour using a human-like vision. In this article, we propose a biologically motivated computational model to track and detect the objects contour. Even the previous research has proposed some models by using the Dijkstra algorithm , our work is to mimic the human eye movement and imitate saccades in our humans. We use natural images with associated ground truth contour maps to assess the performance of the proposed operator regarding the detection of contours while suppressing texture edges. The results show that our method enhances contour detection in cluttered visual scenes more effectively than classical edge detectors proposed by other methods.
KeywordsContour detection Multi-direction searching Short path finding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Joshi, G.D., Sivaswamy, J.: A simple scheme for contour detection. In: International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAPP), pp. 236–242 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Baumann, R., van der Zwan, R., Peterhans, E.: Figure-ground segregation at contours: a neural mechanism in the visual cortex of the alert monkey. European Journal of Neuroscience (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.OpenCV C interface, http://opencv.willowgarage.com/documentation/c/index.html
- 8.Cavanaugh, J., Bair, W., Movshon, J.: Nature and interaction of signals from the receptive field center and surround in macaque v1 neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Dobbins, A., Zucker, S.W., Cynader, M.S.: Endstopped neurons in the visual cortex as a substrate for calculating curvature. Nature (1987)Google Scholar
- 10.Dubuc, B., Zucker, S.: Complexity, confusion and perceptual grouping. part ii: mapping complexity. International Journal on Computer Vision (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Grigorescu, C., Petkov, N., Westenberg, M.: Contour detection based on nonclassical receptive field inhibition. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Canny, J.: A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (1986)Google Scholar