Analog Molecular Communication in Nanonetworks
Nanotechnology is currently being applied to vast number of fields to overcome the challenges faced with existing technologies, which can not efficiently scale down to nano level. Communication is one of the important problems to be addressed in nano scale environment, and molecular communication is a candidate to address this problem. Existing research on molecular communication concentrates on application of existing digital communication paradigm. In this paper, we approach the problem from another perspective, and propose an analog communication model in which the data is not quantified. The proposed model enables achieving higher data rates using less energy while keeping the error rate bounded. With this characteristics, the proposed method finds promising application options for specific set of communication requirements.
Keywordsanalog communication nanonetworks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gine, L.P., Akyildiz, I.F.: Molecular communication options for long range nanonetworks. Computer Networks (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Arora, K.V., Tan, M.L.P.: Quantum Nanoelectronics: Challenges and Opportunities. In: ICSE 2008 Proc. (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Hiyama, S., Moritani, Y., Suda, T., Egashira, R., Enomoto, A., Moore, M., Nakano, T.: Molecular Communication. In: Proc. of NSTI Nanotech 2005, Anaheim, California, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Akyildiz, I.F., Brunetti, F., Blazquez, C.: Nanonetworks: A new communication paradigm. Computer Networks (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Nakano, T., Suda, T., Koujin, T., Haraguchi, T., Hiraoka, Y.: Molecular Communication through Gap Junction Channels: System Design, Experiments and Modeling. In: Bionetics 2007, December 10-13 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Atakan, B., Akan, O.B.: An Information Theoretical Approach for Molecular Communication. In: Bionetics 2007, December 10-13 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Moore, M., Suda, T., Oiwa, K.: Molecular Communication: Modeling Noise Effects on Information Rate. IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience 8(2) (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.www.zunzun.com (last accessed, April 17, 2011)
- 10.Eckford, A.: Nanoscale Communication with Brownian Motion. In: Proc. Conf. on Information Sciences and Systems, Baltimore, USA (2007)Google Scholar