A Write Efficient PCM-Aware Sort
There is an increasing interest in developing Phase Change Memory (PCM) based main memory systems. In order to retain the latency benefits of DRAM, such systems typically have a small DRAM buffer as a part of the main memory. However, for these systems to be widely adopted, limitations of PCM such as low write endurance and expensive writes need to be addressed. In this paper, we propose PCM-aware sorting algorithms that can mitigate writes on PCM by efficient use of the small DRAM buffer. Our performance evaluation shows that the proposed schemes can significantly outperform existing schemes that are oblivious of the PCM.
KeywordsSort Time Naive Scheme Tightening Factor Quick Sort Count Array
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, S., Gibbons, P.B., Nath, S.: Rethinking Database Algorithms for Phase Change Memory. In: CIDR, pp. 21–31 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, B.C., Ipek, E., Mutlu, O., Burger, D.: Architecting phase change memory as a scalable dram alternative. In: ISCA, pp. 2–13 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Qureshi, M.K., Srinivasan, V., Rivers, J.A.: Scalable high performance main memory system using phase-change memory technology. In: International Symposium on Computer Architecture (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Mousavi, H., Zaniolo, C.: Fast and accurate computation of equi-depth histograms over data streams. In: EDBT, pp. 69–80 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Piatetsky-Shapiro, G., Connell, C.: Accurate Estimation of the Number of Tuples Satisfying a Condition. In: SIGMOD Conference, pp. 256–276 (1984)Google Scholar
- 6.Ramos, L.E., Gorbatov, E., Bianchini, R.: Page placement in hybrid memory systems. In: ICSC, pp. 85–95 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Goetz, M.A.: Internal and tape sorting using the replacement-selection technique. Commun. ACM, 201–206 (1963)Google Scholar
- 8.Graefe, G.: Implementing sorting in database systems. ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 38(3) (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Knuth, D.: The Art of Computer Programming, 2nd edn. Sorting and Searching, vol. 3. Addison-Wesley (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Cormen, T.H., Leiserson, C.E., Rivest, R.L., Stein, C.: Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd edn. (2001)Google Scholar