An Arabic-Based Tutorial System for Children with Special Needs
In spite of the current advance of the use of computers in education in the Arab world, complete suites of solutions for students with special needs are very scarce. This paper presents an assistive system managing learning content for children with intellectual challenges. The system provides educational multimedia contents, inspired from the local environment, in different subjects such as math and science to target specific learning goals. The system tracks the individual student progress against the student individualized learning plan assigned by the teachers and according to their abilities. Upon completion of learning a particular task, the system will test the learner to order a set of sub-tasks in its logical sequence necessary to successfully accomplish the main task. The system also facilitates deploying intelligent tutoring algorithms to automatically correct mistakes after a number of trials working adaptively with the learner to successfully learn how to complete the task.
KeywordsIntellectual Disability Computerized Learning Educational Multimedia Contents Personalized Learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bangert-Drowns, R.L., Kulik, J.A., Kulik, C.-L.C.: Effectiveness of Computer-Based Education in Secondary Schools. Journal of Computer-Based Instruction 12(3), 59–68 (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.Kirk, S., Gallagher, J., Coleman, M., Anastasiow, N.: Educating Exceptional Children, 12th edn. Houghton Mifflin, Boston (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Aveyard, R.L.: A Visual Attention Study for developing Learning Cues for Individual with Mental Retardation. Psychological and Cultural Studies, Lincoln, Nebrasca (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Hawsawi, A.: Teachers Perceptions of Computers Technology Competencies Working with Students with Mild Cognitive Delay. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Idaho, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, http://aaidd.org
- 8.Shafallah Center for Children with Special Needs, in Doha, Qatar, http://www.shafallah.org.qa