Simulation-Based Performance Evaluation of Cloud Applications
As the cloud paradigm gains widespread adoption, performance evaluation and prediction of applications remain daunting tasks that have not yet been fully accomplished. Nevertheless, reliable performance numbers are the key to take the cloud to the next step, in which it will be possible to predict the maintenance cost of the applications and to introduce richer Service Level Agreement between the service provider and consumer. In this paper we propose a methodology based on both benchmarking and simulation which aims at predicting the performance of cloud applications developed trough the mOSAIC framework. The methodology is general enough to be of interest to other component-based cloud application development platforms which are emerging in these days.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Craciun, C.D., Neagul, M., Lazcanotegui, I., Rak, M., Petcu, D.: Building an Interoperability API for Sky Computing. In: The 2nd Int. InterCloud Workshop, pp. 405–406. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Cuomo, A., Rak, M., Villano, U.: Cloud-based Concurrent Simulation at Work: Fast Performance Prediction of Parallel Programs. In: 2012 21th IEEE Int. Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises, WETICE (to appear, 2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Cuomo, A., Rak, M., Villano, U.: mJADES: Concurrent Simulation in the Cloud. In: 2nd Int. Workshop on Intelligent Computing at Large Scale (to appear, 2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Cuomo, A., Rak, M., Villano, U.: Process-oriented discrete-event simulation in Java with continuations: quantitative performance evaluation. In: Int. Conf. on Simulation and Modeling Methodologies, Technologies and Applications, SIMULTECH (to appear, 2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Mell, P., Grance, T.: The NIST definition of cloud computing. NIST Special Publication 800, 145 (2011) Google Scholar
- 6.Petcu, D., Craciun, C., Rak, M.: Towards a Cross Platform Cloud API - Components for Cloud Federation. In: Leymann, F., Ivanov, I., van Sinderen, M., Shishkov, B. (eds.) CLOSER, pp. 166–169. SciTePress (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.mOSAIC: Open Source API and platform for multiple Clouds (2010), http://www.mosaic-cloud.eu