MUSE: MUltilinguality and SEmantics for the Citizens of the World
This paper discusses some of the challenges raised by multilinguality in the Public Administration field and shows how the MUSE system addresses them by combining speech to text, text to speech, and machine translation techniques, utilizing domain ontologies throughout a complex system designed as a Multi-Agent System and deployed by exploiting resources in the Cloud. The design of MUSE is finished and its implementation and unit testing are under way. On completion of these two stages, MUSE will be experimented in the Registry Office of Genoa Municipality which is supporting this activity by providing the authors with data, advice on the domain, and the opportunity to test MUSE on the field. The final purpose of this work is to make MUSE’s services available to all the foreign citizens interacting with Genoa Municipality’s Registry Office. The two languages currently supported are Spanish and Italian. Due to the high modularity of MUSE’s architecture, a limited effort will be required to add other languages in the future, if the on site experimentation will be successful.
KeywordsMachine Translation Domain Ontology Query Expansion Procedural Rule Foreign Citizen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wahlster, W. (ed.): Vermobil: Foundations of Speech-to-Speech Translations. Springer (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Hutchins, W.J., Somers, H.L. (eds.): An introduction to machine translation. Academic Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Gruber, T.R.: Knowledge Acquisition 5, 199 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Jennings, N.R., Sycara, K.P., Wooldridge, M.: Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems 1(1), 7 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Mell, P., Grance, T.: The NIST definition of Cloud Computing. Tech. Rep. 800-145, National Institute of Standards and Technology (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Bordini, R.H., Hubner, J.F., Wooldridge, M.: Programming Multi-Agent Systems in AgentSpeak Using Jason. John Wiley & Sons (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Bellifemine, F.L., Caire, G., Greenwood, D.: Developing Multi-Agent Systems with JADE. John Wiley & Sons (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Ghio, S.: Progetto di un prototipo di SDP per utilizzo in Pubblica Amministrazione e reti private. Master’s thesis, Computer Science Department. Genova University, Italy (2012) (in Italian)Google Scholar
- 9.Papaleo, L., Quercini, G., Mascardi, V., Ancona, M., Traverso, A., Lumley, H.D.: In: ICAART 2011 Procs (2011)Google Scholar