Designing a Software Transactional Memory for Peer-to-Peer Systems
Transactional memory is a rather novel approach to concurrency control in parallel computing, that has just recently found its way into distributed systems. However, the research concentrates mainly on single processor solutions or cluster environment. In this paper we argue, that peer-to-peer systems would require a different design of transactional memory and we present a few of our design ideas, that as we think could be important to a successful implementation of a scalable and resilient transactional memory.
KeywordsData Item Concurrency Control Transactional Memory Remote Node Network Partition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Burckhardt, S., Leijen, D., Fähndrich, M., Sagiv, M.: Eventually Consistent Transactions. In: Seidl, H. (ed.) ESOP 2012. LNCS, vol. 7211, pp. 67–86. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Mesaros, V., Collet, R., Glynn, K., et al.: A Transactional System for Structured Overlay Networks (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Müller, M.-F., Möller, K.-T., Schöttner, M.: Commit Protocols for a Distributed Transactional Memory. In: Proc. of the 2010 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies, PDCAT 2010, pp. 1–10. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Pratt-Szeliga, P., Fawcet, J.: p2pstm: A Peer-to-Peer Software Transactional Memory. Technical report, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Saad, M.M., Ravindran, B.: Supporting STM in Distributed Systems: Mechanisms and a Java Framework. In: TRANSACT 2011: Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Transactional Computing, San Jose, California, USA (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Turcu, A., Ravindran, B.: Hyflow2: A High Performance Distributed Transactional Memory Framework in Scala (April 2012)Google Scholar